Information for scholarship applicants
The application period for scholarship holders and self-funded students for the 2021/22 intake has ended.
Application form: the EMJMD-EMLex application form can be found here by November 2021.
A sample of the student agreement for the study period 2021-23 can be found here.
Information on data protection and the EACEA privacy statement can be found here.
- Information for students
- Erasmus Mundus EMLex programme
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship
- Erasmus Mundus Prerequisites and Application
- EMLex (without Erasmus Mundus)
1. Information for students
The Erasmus Mundus EMLex offers an excellent international programme of study which is globally unique and highly attractive due to various activities. During the two-year programme, students will spend the second semester together with all other students at one university, which changes every year. On request, it is possible to study at a third university of the EMLex consortium in the third semester. In the 1st and 4th semester studies take place at the so-called home university. Erasmus Mundus applicants have the opportunity to name their preferred choices for their home university; the selection committee distributes the applicants equally to the partner universities.
The Erasmus Mundus programme is fee-based, i.e. students have to pay participation costs to the EMLex consortium for each semester. In return, the consortium pays for costs arising in the course of the studies, for example tuition and administration fees, health insurance, library fees, etc. In addition, it organizes a supporting programme. All students have to sign a Student Agreement before the beginning of their studies.
2. Erasmus Mundus EMLex programme
In order to participate in the Erasmus Mundus EMLex programme, students have to submit an application (see point 4 for requirements). A total of 32 university places are provided per intake. Applications for an Erasmus Mundus EMLex scholarship can be submitted from November 2021 (see below for details).
The participation costs are as follows:
- for students from partner countries (Non-EU countries except for Turkey, Macedonia, Serbia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland): 4,500 € per semester
- for students from programme countries (28 EU member states + Turkey, Macedonia, Serbia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland): 2,250 € per semester.
3. Erasmus Mundus scholarship
a) Number of scholarships
EMLex provides 15 scholarships for the intake of 2022/23. Depending on the home university, courses will start either in September or October 2022. 75% of the scholarships are given to partner country students; 25% are given to programme country students.
- Partner Countries: non-EU countries with the exception of Turkey, Macedonia, Serbia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland
- Programme Countries: 28 EU member states + Turkey, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Liechtenstein and Iceland.
If you come from a partner country and have carried out your main activities (studies, work, training) in any programme country for at least 12 months in total during the previous five years, you are considered as an applicant from a programme country.
b) The scholarship includes
- contribution to subsistence costs: 1,000 € per month for the entire duration of the EMLex study programme (24 months maximum)
- contribution to travel and installation costs:
- for scholarship holders resident in a programme country: 1,000 € per year for travel costs
- for scholarship holders resident in a partner country whose location is situated at less than 4,000 km from the coordinating institution (Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg): 2,000 € per year for travel costs + 1,000 € for installation costs
- for scholarship holders resident in a partner country whose location is situated at 4,000 km or more from the coordinating institution (Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg): 3,000 € per year for travel costs + 1,000 € for installation costs
- The scholarship also includes participation costs for the EMJMD-EMLex (see point 2 for details). These participation costs cover all additional costs which occur during your studies. They particularly include tuition fees, health insurance, library costs, administrative costs, cultural events.
Note: If you study in your home country you will not receive contribution to subsistence costs for the duration of your stay there. If you are a partner country student and study at Stellenbosch you will only receive contribution to subsistence costs for the duration of three months of your stay.
4. Erasmus Mundus: prerequisites and application
The application period for an EMJMD scholarship in the 2022/23 intake will open from November 2021.
Prerequisites and admission
These conditions apply to both Erasmus Mundus students with and without a scholarship (self-financing basis).
Applicants must have a Higher Educational Institution (HEI) degree in the area of
- (Computational/Applied) Linguistics
- (Foreign) Languages
- Book Studies / Library and Information Science
- or other relevant disciplines, subject to the consent of and the approval by the Consortium’s admission committee.
If your HEI degree is still in progress, you may nevertheless submit an application. The restriction in this case will be that the HEI degree certificate is available before the start of the EMLex study course.
4.2. Language requirements
Competences in textual reception that enable the students to understand texts in their field of studies and to take an active part in specialist discussions are absolutely necessary for a successful participation in the EMJMD EMLex master course. Instruction languages are English and German as lectures will always be held in one of these languages. Language skills must be proven by the respective language certificates.
- In your application you have to document text production skills in one of the two instruction languages that correspond to at least level B2.
- You need to have sufficient text reception skills in both languages, which have to be proven by certificates (see notes below).
- Language certificates cannot be older than two years.
- No other documents than the above-mentioned will be accepted as evidence for the necessary language requirements.
Proficiency in English (for non-native speakers) must be certified by one of the following institutions for at least the given level (equivalent to B1 // B2):
- onSet-Englisch. This test can be taken at a licensed test centre in your country (https://www.onset.de/testzentren-termin/).
- British Council (IELTS): 4.5 – 5 // 5.5 – 6.5
- Trinity (ISE Foundation): ISE I // ISE II
- TOEFL iBT: at least 42 // at least 72
- Cambridge: Preliminary Certificate // First, Advanced or Proficiency Certificate
- English studies / Anglistik Bachelor degree (or comparable degree) from one of the universities in the EMLex programme
Proficiency in German (for non-native speakers) must be certified by one of the following institutions for at least the given level (equivalent to B1 // B2):
- onSet-Deutsch (former “OnDaF”). This test can be taken at a licensed test centre in your country (https://www.onset.de/testzentren-termin/).
- Goethe-Institut: Zertifikat B1, grade at least ‘gut’ // Zertifikat B2, grade at least ‘gut’
- Österreich-Institut: ÖSD-Zertifikat B1, grade at least ‘gut’ // Zertifikat B2, grade at least ‘gut’
- Germanistik Bachelor degree (or comparable degree) from one of the universities of the EMLex programme
Important! Exception due to the Corona virus pandemic: in cooperation with the University of Milan Language Centre (SLAM), EMLex offers applicants a combined language proficiency examination if they cannot provide valid language certificates due the Corona pandemic. The examination consists of an online language level certificate test (B2) regarding grammar, listening and reading (led by SLAM), and an online interview regarding the general speaking ability of the candidates (led by EMLex). The fee per language is 2 x 30.00 €, which must be paid in advance to SLAM and EMLex. If you wish to take this examination, please turn to firstname.lastname@example.org . EMLex will then provide you with more details regarding the procedure (enrollment, dates, payment) via e-mail.
4.3. Selection criteria
Students (i.e. scholarship holders and students on a self-financing basis) are selected for the EMJMD EMLex programme on the basis of their performance and excellence in their previous studies. All applications are first screened for fulfilling the following eligibility criteria:
- having met the application deadline
- completeness of the application
- proof of the necessary language proficiency
- completion of a first HEI degree (see “degree” section above)
All applications that meet the eligibility criteria mentioned under section 4.1. and 4.2. are then assessed against the following selection criteria:
- Grade and quality of HEI degree(s)
- Motivation letter
- Competence in linguistic analysis
- Lexicographic/terminographic knowledge and experience
- Language proficiency
Note: Candidates may be interviewed via video or phone conference.
4.4. Deadline and procedure
The application period for an EMJMD scholarship in the 2022/23 intake will be open from November 2021.
Note: If you are selected for a scholarship, placed on the reserve list or enrolled as a self-funded student, your data may be used for purposes of evaluating the Erasmus Mundus Programmes by funding agencies.
- Fill out the application form on the computer and sign it by hand.
- Send the application form together with the following documents to email@example.com.
- Pay attention to the following requirements:
- All documents must be submitted in one single PDF file.
- The name of the file should correspond to the following pattern: EMLex application + your name
- The file should not exceed 10 MB (if so you might have to zip the files).
- The documents have to be in the following order:
(1) application form
(2) motivation letter (2 pages max., in English or German). In the letter you should respond to the following aspects:
(a) Explain the reasons why you wish to study the EMLex Master Programme, express your expectations and your own contribution. In addition, you should state what you plan to do with the EMLex master degree.
(b) Report your experiences with scientific or practical lexicography that you have already made and why you have an interest in lexicography.
(c) Explain your choice of the preferred home university (while your preferences* will be taken into account as far as possible, the final decision will be made so as to best fit your study needs).
(d) Answer the following question: Which lexicographic project would you like to realize in your home country if you had the chance to do so?
(3) certificate of HEI degree
(4) a transcript of academic records
(5) language certificates
(6) a copy of your identity document
* Please keep in mind that you will be spending your first and fourth semester at the same university and that every university focuses on different research areas within lexicography and dictionary research. Your prioritization as concerns the first semester should thus be oriented towards your own main focus of interest so as to easily turn it into a topic for your master thesis.
- PDF files which do not have the requested order (1)-(6), the requested name, are incomplete or too big will not be considered!
- If your original documents are in a language other than English or German, please also submit certified translations.
- Please note that we cannot return any documents that you send us.
- Students starting the programme in 2021/22 cannot study in Stellenbosch, South Africa, as well as in Braga, Portugal, since the EMLex summer term 2022 will take place at UMinho.
- Students from China: In case of acceptance to the EMLex Programme, please also have your documents certified by the Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferats of the German Embassy in Beijing.
- Students from Vietnam: In case of acceptance to the EMLex Programme, please also have your documents certified by the Akademische Prüfstelle at the German Embassy in Hanoi.
- Students from Mongolia: In case of acceptance to the EMLex Programme, please also have your documents certified by the Akademische Prüfstelle at the German Embassy in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
If you are selected for a scholarship, you will have to accept the offer within ten days after the approval notification. If you do not meet the deadline, you are no longer entitled to receive the EMJMD-EMLex scholarship. After accepting the scholarship you can enroll in the university which you have been assigned as your home university. We will try to assign the university of your first choice to you.
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) organises the application procedure. However, FAU is a home university in the same sense as the consortium partners in Braga, Budapest, Katowice, Nancy, Rome and Santiago de Compostela. The selection committee will distribute the applicants evenly among these universities. As students mostly chose Erlangen as their first priority in the past, chances are not very high for any applicant to be assigned a university place at Erlangen. We therefore recommend that you take this into account when choosing your home university. Nevertheless, students on a self-financing basis are always entitled to be assigned the university of their first choice. Applicants that are not selected for a scholarship are thus able to study the EMJMD EMLex master course. These university places will be assigned as from 16.4.2021.
4.6. Appeal procedure
If you have not been selected and have reasons to believe that your application file has not been processed through the selection procedure, you may engage an appeal procedure.
Before submitting an appeal, please check carefully whether
- you observed the application deadline
- you followed the application procedure
- you submitted the documents required for a complete application
If the above conditions are met, and you have reasons to believe that a mistake has been made during the selection procedure you may submit an appeal. An appeal request must be made in writing and meet the following requirements:
- It must be sent as a letter to the EMLex Coordinator (Prof. Dr. Stefan Schierholz).
- You must clearly state the reasons for the appeal.
- The appeal must be sent within 7 working days after receiving the notification of non-selection.
- The appeal must be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The subject line of the appeal request e-mail must contain the text “EMLex non-selection appeal” and the last name of the candidate
You will be contacted as soon as a decision has been made.
Note: A candidate may appeal ONLY on the grounds of defective or unfair procedure. The appeal procedure is concerned with how the application was handled in the evaluation and eligibility-checking process. It does not automatically lead to a re-evaluation of the application. Please note that new information or clarifications that should have been in the application will not be taken into consideration.
5. EMLex (without Erasmus Mundus)
If there are any remaining places to study after the Erasmus Mundus places have been assigned, it is possible to apply for the EMLex master course without Erasmus Mundus at one of the partner universities. We will publish the number of applicants, the number of university places assigned to scholarship holders and students on a self-financing basis, and thus the number of remaining university places on this website.
The summer semester abroad for students with a local application is funded by the Erasmus+ programme. This means that the summer semester abroad is only partially financed. In addition, all other advantages of the Erasmus Mundus programme (for example exemption of local tuition fees, health insurance, teaching materials, and cultural events) are not included. In total, you can only study at two different universities, i.e. you spend the 1st, 3rd and 4th semester at the same university. You will not receive an Erasmus Mundus certificate but an EMLex certificate. The Universidade de Santiago de Compostela is not part of it.
Conditions and deadlines for applications differ at the various partner universities and can be found on their respective websites. For further information, please contact the respective EMLex directors:
- Braga: Idalete Maria Silva Dias (email@example.com)
- Budapest: Zita Hollós (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Katowice: Monika Bielińska (email@example.com)
- Nancy: Éva Buchi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rom: Martina Nied Curcio (email@example.com)
- Santiago de Compostela: María José Domínguez Vázquez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Stellenbosch: Rufus Gouws (email@example.com)
- Erlangen: Stefan Schierholz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For applications at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg:
Applications for the EMLex at Erlangen University must be submitted via the master’s office (Masterbüro). Please use the online application portal for master programmes at FAU Erlangen and select the programme “Lexikographie (Master of Arts)”. Find more information on Master’s applications at FAU here.
Studies can be taken up every winter term. The application period for the EMLex programme for the academic year of 2021/21 will end on July 15, 2021.