Information for students/ application
Application period: applications for the intake 2018 can be submitted from 1st November 2017.
The deadline for scholarship holders for the intake of 2018 expires on 1st March 2018.
——– !! NB !! DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED !! NB !! DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED ———
The deadline has been extended to 18 March 2018.
The deadline for non-scholarship holders for the intake of 2018 expires on 15 April 2018.
Application form: the EMJMD-EMLex application form can be found here.
Student Agreement: The student agreement for 2018/19 can be found here.
Information on data protection and the EACEA privacy statement can be found here.
- Information for students
- Erasmus Mundus EMLex programme
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship
- Erasmus Mundus Prerequisites and Application
- Application for EMLex studies
1. Information for students
The Erasmus Mundus EMLex offers an excellent international programme of study which is globally unique and highly attractive due to various activities. During the two-year programme, students will spend the second semester together with all other students at one university, which changes every year. On request, it is possible to study at a third university of the EMLex consortium in the third semester. In the 1st and 4th semester studies take place at the so-called home university. Erasmus Mundus applicants have the opportunity to name their preferred choices for their home university; the selection committee distributes the applicants equally to the partner universities. Self-paying students (those who do not hold a scholarship) are guaranteed a place at their university of first choice.
The Erasmus Mundus programme is fee-based, i.e. students have to pay participation costs to the EMLex consortium for each semester. In return, the consortium pays for costs arising in the course of the studies, for example tuition and administration fees, health insurance, library fees, etc. In addition, it organizes a supporting programme. All students have to sign a Student Agreement before the beginning of their studies.
2. Erasmus Mundus EMLex programme
The participation costs are as follows:
- for students from partner countries (Non-EU countries except for Turkey, Macedonia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland): 4,500.00 € per semester.
- for students from programme countries (28 EU member states + Turkey, Macedonia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland): 2,250.00 € per semester.
The number of study places is limited to 32 in total. Applications for an Erasmus Mundus study place in EMLex must be received until the 15th of April 2018 (for details, see below). In these cases, the second semester is funded by Erasmus+.
New applicants are required to submit the EMJD application together with the necessary documents until the 15th of April 2018.
3. Erasmus Mundus scholarship
a) Number of scholarships
EMLex provides 13 scholarships for the intake of 2018. This intake starts in winter term 2018/19, with courses starting either in September or October 2018 (depending on the home university). 75% of the scholarships are given to partner country students; 25% are given to programme country students.
- Partner Countries: non-EU countries with the exception of Turkey, Macedonia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland
- Programme Countries: 28 EU member states + Turkey, Macedonia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland
If you come from a partner country and have carried out your main activities (studies, work, training) in any programme country for at least 12 months in total during the previous five years, you are considered as an applicant from a programme country.
b) The scholarship includes
- contribution to subsistence costs: 1,000 € per month for the entire duration of the EMLex study programme (24 months maximum)
- contribution to the travel and installation costs:
- for scholarship holders resident in a programme country: 1,000 € per year for travel costs
- for scholarship holders resident in a partner country whose location is situated at less than 4,000 km from Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg: 2,000 € per year for travel costs + 1,000 € for installation costs
- for scholarship holders resident in a partner country whose location is situated at 4,000 km or more from Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg: 3,000 € per year for travel costs + 1,000 € for installation costs
- The scholarship also includes participation costs for the EMJMD-EMLex. These participation costs cover all additional costs which occur during your studies, including tuition fees, health insurance, library costs, administrative costs, cultural events, etc.
Note: If you study in your home country you will not receive contribution to subsistence costs for the duration of your stay there. If you are a partner country student and study at Stellenbosch you will only receive contribution to subsistence costs for the duration of three months of your stay.
4. Erasmus Mundus prerequisites and application
- The application deadline for scholarship holders of the intake 2018 expires on the 01/03/2018. NB: The deadline has been extended to 18 March 2018.
- The application deadline for EMJMD students without a scholarship for the intake of 2018 is the 15/04/2018.
Application form: EMJMD-EMLex application
Student Agreement: The student agreement for 2018/19 can be found here.
Note: For individual justified exceptional cases the language certificates can be handed in at a later point in time. Please contact Wiebke Blanck (email@example.com) if you cannot submit your certificates in due time.
Prerequisites and admission
These conditions apply to both Erasmus Mundus students with and without a scholarship.
Applicants must have a Higher Educational Institution (HEI) degree in the area of
- (Computational/Applied) Linguistics
- (Foreign) Languages
- Book Studies / Library and Information Science
- or other relevant disciplines, subject to the consent of and the approval by the Consortium’s admission committee.
If your HEI degree is still in progress, you may nevertheless submit an application. The restriction in this case will be that the HEI degree certificate is available before the EMLex study course begins.
Proficiency in English and German is essential for participation because the courses will be taught in these two languages. Language requirements are either:
- at least level B1 in English and at least level B2 in German or
- at least level B1 in German and at least level B2 in English
Proficiency in English (for non-native speakers) must be certified by one of the following institutions for at least the given level (equivalent to B1 // B2):
- onSet-Englisch. This test can be taken at a licensed test centre in your country (https://www.onset.de/testzentren-termin/).
- British Council (IELTS): 4.5 – 5 // 5.5 – 6.5
- Trinity (ISE Foundation): ISE I // ISE II
- TOEFL iBT: at least 42 // at least 72
- Cambridge: Preliminary Certificate // First, Advanced or Proficiency Certificate
- English studies / Anglistik Bachelor degree (or comparable degree) from one of the universities in the EMLex programme
Proficiency in German (for non-native speakers) must be certified by one of the following institutions for at least the given level (equivalent to B1 // B2):
- onSet-Deutsch (former “OnDaF”). This test can be taken at a licensed test centre in your country (https://www.onset.de/testzentren-termin/).
- Goethe-Institut: Zertifikat B1, grade at least ‘gut’ // Zertifikat B2, grade at least ‘gut’
- Österreich-Institut: ÖSD-Zertifikat B1, grade at least ‘gut’ // Zertifikat B2, grade at least ‘gut’
- Germanistik Bachelor degree (or comparable degree) from one of the universities of the EMLex programme
- The language certificates must not be older than two years.
- No other documents can be accepted as confirmation of English and German proficiency.
4.3. Selection criteria
Students are selected by a joint committee representing all partner institutions. Students are selected for study in the programme on the basis of their performance and excellence in their previous studies.
All applications are first screened for fulfilling the following eligibility criteria:
- having met the application deadline
- completeness of the application
- English language proficiency
- German language proficiency
- completion of a first HEI degree (see “degree” section above)
All applications that meet the eligibility criteria mentioned under section 4.1. and 4.2. are then assessed against the following selection criteria:
- Grade and quality of HEI degree(s)
- Motivation letter
- Competence in linguistic analysis
- Lexicographic/terminographic knowledge and experience
Note: Candidates may be interviewed via video or phone conference.
4.4. Deadline and procedure
Application deadline for intake of 2018 is 1st March 2018. Application opens on 1st November 2017.
Note: If you are selected for a scholarship, placed on the reserve list or enrolled on a self-financing basis, your data may be used for purposes of evaluating the Erasmus Mundus Programme by funding agencies.
How to apply
- Fill out the application form on the computer and sign it by hand.
- Send the application form together with the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org (all documents must be in a PDF format. The file should not exceed 4 MB.):
- certificate of HEI degree
- language certificates (English and German)
- a transcript of academic records
- a copy of your identity document
- motivation letter (2 pages max., in English or German). In the letter you should respond to the following aspects:
- Explain the reasons why you want to attend the EMLex programme, your expectations and your own contribution.
- Explain your choice of the preferred home university (while your preferences will be taken into account as far as possible, the final assignment will be made to best fit your study needs).
- Answer the following question: Which lexicographic project would you like to realize in your home country if you had the chance to do so?
- If your original documents are in a language other than English or German, please also submit certified translations.
- Please note that we cannot return any documents that you send us.
- Students from China: In case of acceptance to the EMLex Programme, please also have your documents certified by the Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferats of the German Embassy in Beijing.
- Students from Mongolia: Please also have your documents certified by the German Embassy in Ulaanbaator, Mongolia.
- For students starting the programme in 2018, it is not possible to start in Budapest and in Stellenbosch.
If you are selected for a scholarship, you will have to accept the offer within ten days after the approval notification. If you do not meet the deadline, you are no longer entitled to receive the EMJMD-EMLex scholarship. After accepting the scholarship you can enroll in the university which has been selected as your home university. We will try to assign you to the university of your first choice.
If you are not selected for a scholarship, you are offered the possibility to apply for the regular programme without a scholarship. In this case, you do not need to send any further documents but only send an e-mail to email@example.com. Application deadline for the regular programme depends on the respective partner university and will be published on the respective website.
4.6. Appeal procedure
If you have not been selected and have reasons to believe that your application file has not been processed through the selection procedure, you may engage an appeal procedure.
Before submitting an appeal, please check carefully whether
- you observed the application deadline
- you followed the application procedure
- you submitted the documents required for a complete application
If the above conditions are met, and you have reasons to believe that a mistake has been made during the selection procedure you may submit an appeal. An appeal request must be made as follows:
- by a letter to the EMLex Coordinator (Prof. Dr. Stefan Schierholz)
- clearly stating the reasons for the appeal
- sent within 7 working days after receiving the notification of non-selection
- sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- the subject line of the appeal request e-mail must contain the text “EMLex non-selection appeal” and the last name of the candidate
You will be contacted as soon as a decision has been made.
Note: A candidate may appeal ONLY on the grounds of defective or unfair procedure. The appeal procedure is concerned with how the application was handled in the evaluation and eligibility-checking process. It does not automatically lead to re-evaluation. Please note that new information or clarifications that should have been in the application will not be taken into consideration.
5. Application for EMLex studies
If there are any remaining places to study after the Erasmus Mundus places have been attributed, it is possible to study EMLex without Erasmus Mundus. In order to get a study place, students have to apply locally at one of the partner universities. The summer semester abroad for students with a local application is funded by the Erasmus+ programme. This means that the summer semester abroad is only partially financed. In addition, all other advantages of the Erasmus Mundus programme (for example exemption of local tuition fees, health insurance, teaching materials, cultural events) are not included. In total, you can only study at two different universities, i.e. you spend the 1st, 3rd and 4th semester at the same university. You will not receive an Erasmus Mundus certificate but an EMLex certificate. Universidade de Santiago de Compostela is not part of it.
The application period for all universities expires on 8th June 2018.
Conditions and deadlines for applications at the various partner universities differ and can be found on the respective websites. For further information, please contact:
- Braga: Álvaro Iriarte Sanromán (email@example.com)
- Budapest: Zita Hollós (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Katowice: Monika Bielińska (email@example.com)
- Nancy: Éva Buchi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rom: Martina Nied Curcio (email@example.com)
- Santiago de Compostela: María José Domínguez Vázquez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Stellenbosch: Rufus Gouws (email@example.com)
For applications at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg:
Applications for the EMLex at Erlangen university must be submitted via the Master’ s office. Please use the online application portal for Master’s programmes at the FAU Erlangen and select the programme “Lexikographie (Master of Arts)”. Find more information on Master’s applications at FAU here.
Studies can be taken up every winter term. The deadline for applications for the EMLex programme is 8th June 2018. In case of a deadline extension, information will be provided on this website.
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Stefan Schierholz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
25th October 2017